Thursday 22 August 2013

Costa Rica - First Impressions

Continuing on the trip to Central America…

First of all an apology - there aren't going to be any personal photos. A few weeks before travelling, my mobile phone was stolen, so I was using an ancient one, which has only a very poor camera. So any  photos I include will be from the internet.











My flight out of Sao Paulo was scheduled to leave at 6.20am, so I arrived to check in at around 4.00am to discover that the flight was delayed until 9.45am. (I could have slept more!). They switched me instead to a different route, going through Bogota, Columbia. When I eventually arrived in San José, Costa Rica, I was met at the airport and taken for Pizza. As we drove from the airport, I had the impression that the city was more Americanised - or I should say North-Americanised than Brazil. I saw more shops and restaurants with names in English, and many that you would find in the USA - like Dennys, Taco Bell, Popeyes (which I've never seen in Brazil), plus of course the obligatory McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, Dominoes. Right in the centre of town, it looked a little more colonial - with the squares, churches, and municipal buildings. On a later trip to the suburbs, it felt much more Latin-American - and might easily have been in Brazil. 




It made me think about the "globalness" (if that's a word) of the world today. Costa Rica was a completely new country for me, but there was a lot that seemed familiar. 

I spent three days in San José, most of it working hard inside the OM offices. I was made to feel very welcome by the international team, and it was great to meet more people from more countries. The next part of my stay was a trip to Panama by Bongo. More about that next time …


No comments:

Post a Comment